Standard Written English: A Guide Description
This book is an easy-to-read instruction manual for written English. It is a manual that describes, with the help of numerous examples, a type of English that is both unique and used by everyone in the English-speaking world: “Standard Written English” (SWE).
Here’s what you will learn in this book:
- Part I: concerns the elements of the English language: vocabulary, grammar, usage and so on. Common mistakes are described, and ‘cures’ are offered.
- Part II shows how these elements can be put together in the formal written language.
- Parts III and IV contain entertaining examples of SWE in actual use, with commentaries.
- Part III follows the work of four notable stylists.
- Part IV is a collection of fifty case studies in the useof the language, arranged by subjects such as ‘Autobiography’, ‘Journalism’, Literary Criticism’, and ‘Technology and Computing’.
- The book ends with an article on the history of the English language by the lexicographer R W Burchfield, and an annotated bibliography.